What will I gain from my subject?
The skills and experience you develop through your Physics degree and extra-curricular experiences are highly valued by employers, and crucial to your effective contribution in the workplace. You will be able to solve commercial, industrial and scientific problems, research and present potential solutions logically and with clarity, apply theory and concepts to a variety of contexts.
What can I do with my subject?
There are a great many possibilities open to graduates, and a Physics degree can be applied to a wide range of possibilities. For example, many Physics graduates consider roles in sectors such as Engineering, Space, Research and more.
The specific skills gained by Physics students such as laboratory work, technical expertise, paper-writing and research, are highly sought after by employers. Some students and graduates specialise in a specific subject through postgraduate study to further enhance their knowledge and expertise, while others move into graduate employment.
Where do I start looking for work experience and graduate jobs?
Below is a list of resources which provide a good starting point when searching for work experience and graduate work related to your degree.
- Astronomy Technology Centre
- BAE Systems
- British Antarctic Survey
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory-DSTL
- EDF Energy
- Government Statistical Service
- Inside careers
- National Physical Laboratory
- New Scientist
- Science and Technology Facilities Council
- Science Careers
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths Network
- Space Careers
- Research Internships in Science and Engineering - Summer Internships in Germany
- Institute of Physics
- Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine
- Royal Astronomical Society
- Society for Radiological Protection
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
What do Aber graduates do?
You will find below some examples of jobs that our physics graduates have gone into, along with a list of employers employing these graduates:
- Actuary Analyst
- Administration Officer
- Air Pilot
- Algorithms and Electro-Optics Engineer
- Associate Patent Examiner
- Data Analyst
- Graduate Physicist
- Health Physicist
- Laboratory Technician
- Marketing and Sales Adviser
- Naval Systems Engineer
- PhD Research Student
- Post Doctoral Scholar
- Production Technician
- Project Coordinator
- Project Engineer
- Publishing Editor
- Research Assistant
- Research Associate
- Research Scientist
- Research Technician
- Web Developer
Examples of employers that Aberystwyth physics graduates and postgraduates have gone to work for:
- CEAM, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Enterprise Connect
- Hargreaves Lansdown
- Intellectual Property Office
- Ministry of Defence
- Newbury Electronics
- Office for National Statistics
- Secondary School
- Thermo Electron Corporation
- Various Higher Education Establishments