Study Abroad & Exchange Students
Guaranteed University owned or managed accommodation for Incoming Study Abroad and Exchange Students!
We are delighted to offer all incoming study abroad and exchange students with guaranteed University owned or managed accommodation for the duration of their taught studies at Aberystwyth University.
A place in University owned or managed accommodation is guaranteed, but a specific type of room or location is not.
Full terms and conditions about guaranteed accommodation can be found in the Priorities Policy
Coronavirus Update: Due to current circumstances, changes have been made to our service provision to safeguard students, staff and visitors. Please refer to our FAQs for information which is relevant during this time
Find out more
Why live with us?
Living in University accommodation is the beginning of something very exciting, giving you the opportunity to meet new people and make friends for life in a supportive, fun and vibrant community!
There is no need to worry about fluctuating bills as the accommodation fees include utilities (e.g. water, heating, electricity), internet connection & Wi-Fi, a high level of personal contents insurance and free Sport Centre platinum membership! Additional benefits can be found on our Why live with us webpage.
University owned or managed accommodation
We offer a variety of accommodation options, with all of our residences only being a short walk away from campus.
Choose from a range of self-catered residences with either en-suite rooms, flats with shared facilities, or our self-contained studios. Offering a variety of styles, budgets and locations to find the space that works for you.
Why not take a virtual tour of the types of accommodation we have on offer.
Meal Plan Offer
If cooking is not for you, then why not check out our fantastic, flexible meal plan packages available.
International Accommodation Award
If you are joining us as a direct enrol study abroad student (i.e. not from a partner university), you may be eligible for our International Accommodation Award, meaning the cost of your housing is included in your tuition fees.
The University has several different accommodation buildings. This scholarship is different depending on which building you choose but is either totally free or discounted by £2,000.
Private Sector Accommodation
If living in University accommodation is not for you, then alternatively you may prefer to live in Private Sector Accommodation.
Aber Students’ Union Advice Service provides information, advice and support on all aspects of housing in University accommodation and the private sector.
When & how to apply for accommodation
As a study abroad or exchange student you can apply for university once you have met all the conditions of your academic offer and have activated your Aberystwyth IT account - this will be from July onward.
If you have not received an invitation to activate your acount by 15th July (semester 1 & Full Year students), or 15th November (semester 2 students) please contact email@example.com.
To qualify for guaranteed University accommodation you must apply by the 1st August in the year of entry and also respond to your offer of accommodation by the deadline detailed in the Accommodation Offer.
If you will be commencing your studies in the second semester, then you are still guaranteed a place in University accommodation, and you will be in a position to apply for accommodation from around November prior to your studies.
To apply for university accommodation, please visit the ‘How to Apply’ page and follow steps 1 to 3 paying particular attention to the instructions for Study Abroad & Exchange Students in step 1.
What happens next?
Accommodation offers will be sent to study abroad and exchange students from September so please ensure that you regularly check your Aberystwyth University e-mails.
To successfully secure University accommodation you will need to accept the offer made to you and complete the online Accommodation Licence Pack by the given deadline date.
Please note to accept your offer the deadline may be as short as 24 hours, therefore please remember to regularly check your Aberystwyth University IT account!
The Accommodation Licence Pack includes:
- The terms and conditions of your Accommodation Licence Agreement (contained within the Residents' Handbook)
- Online payment of the required £100 Acceptance Fee
- Setting up a payment plan for your Accommodation Fees
- Information on living in University accommodation
- Choosing an arrival date and time.
Please refer to our What Happens Next After Applying for University Accommodation webpage for additional information.
Arriving or Leaving Early
University Accommodation will be available for you to move in from the start of your Accommodation Licence Agreement. This is usually the Friday before Welcome Week.
Should you have any specific reasons as to why you would like to move into University accommodation earlier than your licence start date then please do not hesitate to contact the Accommodation Office.
If you are aware that you are mandated to return to your home University for academic commitments prior to the end date of your Accommodation Licence Agreement, but before you have agreed to the terms and conditions of your Accommodation Licence Agreement, then you will need to:
- Contact the Accommodation Office by e-mail as soon as possible providing relevant evidence from your home University. This should include that it is an academic requirement for you to return to your home University by a specified date plus detailing the reasons why. This evidence needs to be on headed paper including the signature and contact details of the person providing the evidence.
- The Accommodation Office will then be able to look into amending the end date of your Accommodation Licence Agreement to coincide with when you need to return to your home University.
If you are aware that you are mandated to return to your home University for academic commitments prior to the end date of your Accommodation Licence Agreement, but after you have moved into University accommodation, then you will need to:
- Contact the Accommodation Office by e-mail as soon as possible to make a request to end your Aberystwyth University Accommodation Licence Agreement early.
- The Accommodation Office will provide you with a request form to complete.
- You will be required to complete the request form along with providing the following relevant evidence which needs to be attached to the request form:
- From your home University stating that it is a mandatory academic requirement for you to return to your home University by a specified date plus detailing the reasons why. This evidence needs to be on headed paper including the signature and contact details of the person providing the evidence.
- From your Aberystwyth University Department Co-ordinator stating that it is a mandatory academic requirement for you to return to your home University by a specified date plus detailing the reasons why. This evidence needs to be on headed paper including the signature and contact details of the person providing the evidence or alternatively an e-mail from the member of staff’s Aberystwyth University IT account.
- Without the relevant evidence your request form may not be able to be considered or there may be a delay in processing it.
Please note, that once you have agreed to the terms and conditions of your Accommodation Licence Agreement and moved into University accommodation, the licence end date may not be amended which will result in you continuing to be liable for your Accommodation Fees for the duration of your licence.
Preparing for your arrival
Before you arrive
Once you have applied for and accepted your accommodation offer, you may find it helpful download and have a read over our Residents' Handbook.
The Residents' Handbook provides all the information needed during your stay in University accommodation and covers a wide range of topics including: Pre-Arrival, Maintenance, Cleaning, General Safety, Fire Safety, Travel Information, Living with others, and Health & Support.
You may also find it useful to use our Pre-Arrival Checklist, to make sure you have everything you need when you arrive with us on campus.
Meet & Greet Service
Aberystwyth University has made arrangements for international students to be picked up from Birmingham International Airport on our 'Meet & Greet' coaches (charges apply).
The 'Meet & Greet' team will drop you off at your booked accommodation. Further details about this service and information on how to make a booking can be found on the Meet and Greet Service webpage.
Keep in contact
We know that moving to a new country can be exciting, and we also recognise that it can bring its own challenges. If you have any questions about the above or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact the Accommodation Office Team.