Whether as an undergraduate or postgraduate, all international students are eligible* for our International Accommodation Award.
International Accommodation Award:
What is it?
The International Accommodation Award means the cost of your university-managed housing is included in your tuition fees.
Depending on which accommodation you choose, this will either be totally free or discounted by £2,000.
Please note that free accommodation spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. If there are no free spaces left, you will be sent an offer for a discounted rate in your other hall of choice.
You will need to re-apply for your accommodation each year by the deadline, and accommodation will again be allocated on a first come first served basis.
The University has several different accommodation options to choose from.
What are the costs?
How it works
When you make an application to study at Aberystwyth University, you will be given access to the Accommodation Portal, which opens in April.
You will be required to choose the accommodation options available to you by room type and location in order of priority. The International Accommodation Award offers free accommodation in Cwrt Mawr or a £2,000 discount on the cost of accommodation in our other halls of residence. If Cwrt Mawr is where you want to live, you should select this as your first or second choice. There are a limited number of spaces in Cwrt Mawr. If there are no longer any free spaces available, you will be offered discounted accommodation according to your hall preferences. If you wish to receive the £2,000 discount, please prioritise these accommodation options in order of preference. Rooms will be allocated on a ‘first come first served’ basis in accordance with our priorities policy
If you initially move into Cwrt Mawr, but later decide to move to a different university-managed building, then the £2,000 discount will be applied to the cost of the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate, minus any time lived in Cwrt Mawr). Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
All MBA students will be required to move to alternative accommodation during the summer vacation.
*Terms and conditions
- The International Accommodation Award is only available for students paying international tuition fees.
- Undergraduate Bachelors students will be able to live in their allocated room for 39 or 40 weeks per year. If staying in Aberystwyth between academic years, alternative accommodation on campus, or in private accommodation elsewhere, is necessary over the summer months between June and September when the next term begins.
- Postgraduate Masters students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks. If they wish to stay in Aberystwyth for longer, they must find alternative accommodation on campus or in private accommodation elsewhere.
- Eligible Postgraduate PhD students will be able to live in their allocated room for 50 weeks per year. There will be two weeks in September where they must find alternative accommodation on campus or in private accommodation elsewhere.
- In order to choose and secure a room through the Accommodation Portal, students must have accepted their offer of study and must pay their tuition fee deposit to confirm they wish to study at the University. Students must familiarise themselves with the University’s deposit policy before making a payment. This deposit makes up part of the tuition fees.
- In the unlikely case that a student with a conditional offer to study at the University does not ultimately meet the conditions stated in their offer letter or does not meet the conditions to acquire a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for their visa, the deposit will be refunded in full. However, concessions cannot be made for fluctuations in the exchange rate. Students should therefore feel confident that Aberystwyth is their preferred choice for study and that they will achieve the academic grades required and be able to provide the correct documentation and English language ability to secure a visa before they pay their deposit.
- Deposits will not be refunded if the student meets all the University’s conditions, but changes their mind about studying at Aberystwyth University.
- If students are not required to pay a tuition fee deposit to the University (because they will be funded by an external organisation), they will still be able to access the Accommodation Portal.
- There is no housing on campus for students with dependants (family members). All rooms on campus are single occupancy only. Therefore, students planning to travel with dependants will need to find private accommodation in Aberystwyth town and will not be eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Find out more about private accommodation available.
- Postgraduate PhD students will only be eligible for the International Accommodation Award if they meet all the conditions below:
- The student is self-funding at least 50% of their tuition fees. I.e. they are not receipt of another scholarship covering more than 50% of their tuition fees.
- The student will be paying for their own living costs. I.e. they are not receiving any stipend for their living expenses.
- The student is not bringing any family or dependants with them.
- If a postgraduate PhD student meets all the conditions above, they must email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, applicant ID number, and confirmation that they meet the conditions above. The accommodation team will check that the student is eligible and, if so, will give them access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students whose degree programmes last more than one year must reapply for accommodation on an annual basis. Again, the first-come first-served policy will apply. Returning international students will still be eligible for the International Accommodation Award, but there is no guarantee that they will remain in the same room or building.
- No discounts can be provided for accommodation that is not managed by the University.
- All normal regulations concerning accommodation licenses and application deadlines apply.
- Students on International English Centre (IEC) Pre-sessional, International Foundation and Pre-Masters courses are entitled to free Cwrt Mawr accommodation.
- Students on exchange programmes who do not pay tuition fees do not have access to the International Accommodation Award discounted or free accommodation, but can access on-campus accommodation in the same way as home tuition fee paying students.
- Students on study abroad programmes paying international tuition fees are eligible for the International Accommodation Award. Places are allocated on a first-come first-served basis. For more information contact email@example.com.
- Students who choose to take up the International Accommodation Award but then decide to move into private accommodation elsewhere must notify the accommodation office and return their key. At this point they will no longer have access to the International Accommodation Award.
- Students who initially move into one accommodation building, but later decide to move to a different University-managed building, will have free accommodation or £2,000 discount applied to the new accommodation on a pro-rata basis (at a nightly rate).
- Moving accommodation is subject to availability and requires you to complete a Transfer Request.
- Please note that there are many international students who choose to live in Cwrt Mawr. Students who choose this accommodation building, will likely be living with other international students from a mixture of countries all over the globe.
*Students must meet the terms and conditions to be eligible for the offer.
Overseas fee-paying undergraduate and postgraduate students, are guaranteed a place in University owned or managed accommodation, for the duration of their taught studies at Aberystwyth University, provided you apply by the appropriate deadline date in the year of entry:
- Undergraduate students: 01 August
- Postgraduate students: 01 September
To qualify for guaranteed University accommodation you must also respond to your offer of accommodation by the deadline date detailed in the Accommodation Offer.
A place in University owned or managed accommodation is guaranteed, but not a specific type of room or location.
Full terms and conditions about guaranteed accommodation, can be found in the Priorities Policy.
Why live with us?
Living in University accommodation is the beginning of something very exciting, giving you the opportunity to meet new people and make friends for life in a supportive, fun and vibrant community!
There is no need to worry about fluctuating bills as the accommodation fees include utilities (e.g. water, heating, electricity), internet connection & Wi-Fi, a high level of personal contents insurance and free Sport Centre platinum membership! Additional benefits can be found on our Why live with us webpage.
We offer a variety of accommodation options, with the majority of our residences only being a short walk away from campus.
We offer a range of self-catered residences with either en-suite rooms, flats with shared facilities, or our self-contained studios. Offering a variety of styles, budgets and locations to find the space that works for you.
If cooking is not for you, then why not check out our fantastic, flexible meal plan packages available.
When and how to apply for accommodation
Once you have selected Aberystwyth University as either your Firm or Insurance choice, from mid-March onwards, the Accommodation Office will contact you by e-mail and post inviting you to apply for accommodation.
Our How to Apply webpage provides a handy step-by-step guide on making an online application for University accommodation.
Meet and greet service
Aberystwyth University, on designated days in September and January, can offer international students a free coach transfer service from Birmingham Airport to your university-managed accommodation in Aberystwyth.
Further details about this service and other useful information can be found on the International Arrival page.