Gwybodaeth Modiwlau

Module Identifier
Module Title
Accounting for Managers
Academic Year
Intended for use in future years
Mutually Exclusive
Other Staff

Course Delivery

Delivery Type Delivery length / details
Lecture 10 x 2 hours
Seminars / Tutorials 5 x 1 hour


Assessment Type Assessment length / details Proportion
Semester Assessment An individual in-class test, representing 15% of overall module marks. A group project, representing 15% of overall module marks.  30%
Semester Exam 2 Hours   70%
Supplementary Exam 2 Hours   100%

Learning Outcomes

Having completed this module, student should be able to:

  • Explain the various roles of the accounting function in organisations
  • Explain and illustrate the rules and conventions by which financial statements are prepared.
  • Interpret company financial statements and prepare a simple analyst style report to interpret underlying business history, position and prospects.
  • Explain and evaluate the effects of selected earnings management reporting issues that can impact on the financial analysis exercise.
  • Identify and use internal accounting data for selected management accounting and decision-making scenarios.
  • Explain the budgeting process and prepare cost centre/cash budgets .
  • Explain and discuss on the contemporary management accounting techniques for assessing performance.


This module aims to give students a practical grasp of accounting from two perspectives: those of financial accounting and management accounting. First we will consider financial accounting, the form of accounting aimed at parties external to the business. We will cover the basics of preparation of financial accounts; and analysis of the principal financial accounting statements ? which are the profit and loss account (or income statement), balance sheet and cash flow statement. Next, we will deal with management accounting, covering the requirements for and practices of accounting for parties internal to the business - as they seek to plan, monitor and control the business in a well-informed and effective manner.

The over-riding concern is that students should be able to able to speak the accounting language of business; be able to take an active part in discussions of or based on accounting information; and understand and appropriately employ accounting information and techniques in making business decisions.


Introduction to accounting and its environment
Accounting basics
Main financial statements
Analysis and interpretation of financial statements
Cost analysis, classification and determination
Short-run decision making
Planning and control systems
Performance evaluation

Transferable skills

Identify and distil the key issues covered by lectures, tutorials and self study
Develop basic information accessing and research skills; discriminate between relevant and irrelevant information for the purposes of decision making; analyse data, apply judgement and solve problems
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; participate actively in tutorials either by leading discussions or responding to issues raised; and work under pressure and meet deadlines

Reading List

Should Be Purchased
Atrill, P. and McLaney, E. (2010/11) Accounting and Finance for Non-Specialists /Peter Atrill and Eddie McLaney. Alternatively, 6th edition (2007/8) 7th edition FT/Prentice Hall Primo search
Supplementary Text
Collier, P. Accounting for Managers Primo search Davies, T. and Boczko, T. Business Accounting and Finance Primo search Dyson, J Accounting for Non-Accounting Students Primo search Fraser, L. and Ormiston, A. Understanding Financial Statements, Primo search Jones, M. Accounting Primo search Parker, R Understanding Company Financial Statements, Primo search


This module is at CQFW Level 7