Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Oral presentation - in which students outline the research they have undertaken||10%|
|Semester Assessment||12,000 word Research Dissertation||90%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Delivering an oral presenation - outlining the research they have undertaken||10%|
|Supplementary Assessment||12,000 word Research Dissertation (Resubmission)||90%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Plan, design and execute a piece of rigorous social science research.
2. Undertake research to high standards, including the collection of primary and/or secondary data (as appropriate).
3. Analyse research findings in a rigorous manner, employing appropriate techniques and analysing the results in the context of existing knowledge and theories.
4. Produce a substantial written dissertation in an appropriate academic style.
5. Demonstrate self-motivation, planning and initiative in working on an advanced project independently.
6. Present their research findings in a professional manner, both in a written format and in an assessed presentation.
This module aims to provide students with the opportunity to pursue a major independent research project on a subject of their choosing. Supervisors will work with students to identify potential and viable projects, establish a clear and coherent research design and data collection strategy, discuss data analysis techniques, and advise students on the writing-up of the module. At the end of the module, students should be confident in undertaking independent social science research to a high standard.
1. Sessions will be provided by the module convenor to introduce students to the module and the aims of the dissertation.
2. Supervisors will hold formal project supervision meetings with students at the end of the second year and during the third year. Over the course of the year, students are expected to meet their supervisors and tutor approximately six times, i.e. 6 x 30 minutes
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||If appropriate to the selected research topic, students may develop numerical skills through the collection, analysis and presentation of quantitative data.|
|Communication||Written communication skills are developed through the production of the dissertation. Oral communication skills are not developed directly in this module, although they may be developed through empirical research where verbal research methods are employed (e.g. interviews and questionnaires).|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||The intensive period of self-directed study undertaken on this module will provide students with an excellent opportunity to improve their own independent learning skills.|
|Information Technology||Students will be expected to employ appropriate IT resources in identifying data sources and collecting data (e.g. internet, electronic information resources), in data analysis (e.g. statistical packages), and in producing the final dissertation (e.g. word processing and/or GIS and mapping packages).|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Personal development and career planning may be developed through discussions with the student’s dissertation supervisor. In addition, the generic skills developed in the dissertation will have significant transferability to a wide range of career contexts.|
|Problem solving||Problem solving skills are developed through the identification of research questions, an appropriate methodology and research plan, and through responses to difficulties experienced during data collection.|
|Research skills||Research skills are developed through the collection and analysis of data appropriate for investigation of the research questions.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Subject specific skills will be developed and assessed depending on the nature of the dissertation topic students study.|
|Team work||These skills are not developed through this module.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6