Living in accommodation

What is my postal address?

It is important you provide your correct address to ensure any post you receive gets delivered to the right place.

Your full postal address can be found on our mail webpage.

Where can I park my car?

If you are bringing a car to university, then you will be required to have a parking permit. Information on how to get this can be found on our parking webpage.

Spaces are limited, so we advise you only bring a car if necessary.

How do keys work for access to dorms and rooms? Are they physical keys or cards? And what happens if we misplace keys?

Some accommodation is opened with your AberCard, some use physical keys. If you misplace or lose your key or card you can come to the Accommodation Office during office hours (Monday – Thursday 8:30 to 17:00 and Friday 8:30 to 16:00), as soon as you realise you have lost your keys.

Outside of these hours visit Campus Reception (24/7). We will then carry out an ID check, ask you to complete a lost key form and give you a replacement.

Please note you will have 7 days to find your old key / fob / Aber Card and return it or you may be charged.  

Who is responsible for cleaning my accommodation?

You are responsible for cleaning your room / en-suite (where applicable).

There is a joint responsibility for cleaning the communal areas such as kitchens, corridors and bathrooms in your flat / house.

For further information, please visit our cleaning webpage.


Will there be inspections of the accommodation?

Throughout the term, there will be bedroom and communal inspections.

For more information on what the inspections involve or when they are, please see our inspections webpage

Can I cook in my room?

All cooking must be done in the kitchen area and under no circumstances can you cook in your room. Bedrooms are fitted with smoke detectors and if they sense smoke the fire alarm will activate. Appliances such as microwaves, toasters, sandwich toasters and kettles must only be used in your kitchen, and must have had an electrical safety test and be labelled accordingly.

If living in Studio Accommodation, you will have a kitchen area within your bedroom - please ensure you only cook within this area and use the extractor fan provided. 

Where can I smoke?

All University buildings are non-smoking areas, which includes the use of e-cigarettes. If you are smoking outside, please stand at least 5 meters away from the building and any windows to prevent the smell of smoke entering the premises and please use the cigarette bins provided. 

What if I need Help & Assistance?

If you need Help & Assistance, you can contact the 24/7 Campus Life Helpline (01970 622900).

If you require an Ambulance, Police, Fire or Coastguard you should immediately call the Emergency Services on:

  • External telephone - call 999.
  • Internal telephone - call 222.

For additional information, please see our help & assistance webpage

How do I report any damages or maintenance issues in my accommodation?

Any urgent damages / issues can be reported via the 24/7 Campus Life Helpline (01970 622900).

Any non-urgent damages / issues can be reported via the online report a fault form

Am I able to change my mattress?

All our mattresses are standard therefore, if you want it changed due to it being too soft or too hard etc, we will not be able to do this. However, if it needs changing due to it being ripped, the springs sticking out etc then we will change this. You will need to fill in a report a fault form to do this.

What should I do with any mail not addressed to a current resident?

Any post delivered to someone you do not live with can be returned to sender. You can do this by crossing out the address, writing ‘return to sender’ and putting in a post box. Or, you can give them to the Accommodation Office. 

Do I have to provide my own bin bags?

We provide you with food waste, recycling and hoover bags which you can collect from the Accommodation Office during office hours (Monday-Thursday 8:30 to 17:00 and Friday 8:30 to 16:00).

You will need to provide your own general waste bags.

What if one of my flatmates isn't following the flatmate agreement?

If you feel one of your flatmates isn’t following the agreed flatmate agreement, please contact the Accommodation Office, with specific details so we can look into it. 

Am I allowed to keep fish in my accommodation?

No pets are allowed within residences, including fish. 

Am I allowed visitors?

Visitors are welcome to stay in your accommodation providing the following measures have been met:

  • Visitors must be registered before 4pm daily to be eligible to stay; weekend guests must be registered before 3pm on Fridays
  • An overnight visitor must be over the age of 18.
  • You may not have more than 1 visitor staying at the same time.
  • Visitors must sleep in your room and not in any communal areas.
  • All visitors signed in to comply with Health, Safety and Fire Regulations. For further information, visit the Living in Residences webpage.
  • You are responsible for your guest and they must not be left unsupervised. If they breach the Accommodation Licence Agreement in any way, you will be responsible for their actions.
  • Discuss with your housemates that you want to have a visitor staying prior to their arrival.
  • Please consider others when inviting friends to your flat, if you have a person living in your household who has tested positive or is self-isolating. Please be mindful of students with vulnerabilities.

Failure to comply with the above could mean that any future visitor requests may be denied.

If your visitor needs parking whilst they’re here, they will need to see Site Security who are based in the Main Campus Reception, Penglais Campus.

I agree to the above terms and conditions and all details provided above are true and accurate.

All personal data collected, recorded, used and shared by Campus Services is done in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018. For further information visit our Data Protection Information page.

What else is included with my accommodation?

FREE Sports Centre Platinum Membership.
Personal content insurance.
Internet connection and Wi-Fi.

What am I allowed in my accommodation?

To view a list of what is permitted in our halls of residences, check out our Residence Handbook: Residents' Handbook  : Accommodation , Aberystwyth University

Can I bring a pet?

No, we do not allow students to bring their pets to University.

How much is laundry?

Prices of washing and drying can be found on individual machines however to give you an idea of costs, a standard wash costs £2.50, whilst a standard dry is £1.30 for 60 minutes.

For more information on the universities laundry facilities please visit our Laundry page -

What's included in the meal plans?

You can buy a meal package from Hospitality:

  • At least one main meal a day.
  • 10% discount of till prices.
  • £100 of extra credit if you buy full year package.
  • Buy 9 hot drinks & get your 10th free.

More information can be found on the website - 

How can I get a parking permit?

Parking Permits can be purchased from August onwards, via our website.

For more information on parking please see our Student parking page -

Is a TV license required if I bring a TV?

You need to be covered by a TV licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, and to download / watch BBC iPlayer.

If your accommodation has a TV provided by us, we will provide the TV licence, so you don’t need to worry.

Can I use cash on campus?

Aberystwyth University is a cashless campus – therefore you will only able to use your cards, phones or Abercard to pay for anything on campus.

How do I add funds to my AberCard?

You can top up your Aber Card online, or in person by credit/debit card at any till point across campus. Visit the Aber Card webpage for more information - 

Aberystwyth University is a cashless campus – therefore you will only able to use your cards, phones or Abercard to pay for anything on campus.

Does each separate room lock?

Yes, each bedroom has its own lock. 

Is there any way for international students to meet? Like an International Club?

You can choose to share your social media with your future flatmates, and you can also look into joining one of the many university societies on campus.