Aberystwyth University IT Network
Aberystwyth University’s external internet connection is provided via the Public Services Broadband Aggregation (PSBA) network within Wales, and the Joint Academic Network (JANET) within the UK academic and research environments.
- Wired connections should be used where speed and stability are preferred over convenience. Wired connections provide speeds of 100Mbps with most areas now supporting 1000Mbps connectivity and Power Over Ethernet (PoE).
- Wireless connectivity is not considered suitable for critical applications and should only be used where convenience is preferred.
Making live existing sockets
- Not all network sockets in all locations are live.
- If you wish to utilise an existing network socket, please check with Information Services to see if that socket is live before moving your computer.
- You will need to provide the room number, building name and socket number.
Adding additional sockets
- If you require additional network sockets contact Information Services.
- You will need to provide the room number and building name.
Providing access in new or refurbished areas
- Information Services must be involved in planned projects as early as possible to ensure that sufficient networking forms part of the project specification.
- The data networking element of the specification must cover the University’s Specification for Physical Data Network Infrastructure.
- To discuss and arrange your requirements please contact Information Services.
- Charges will depend on the level of infrastructure changes required to fulfil any request.
Further information, including advice on connecting to the network, can be found on our FAQs