Recording Lectures, Presentations and Events
All staff at AU are able to make recordings of their lectures, presentations etc using the AberCast system; help is available on getting started with Abercast.
AberCast allows you to make a recording of an event such as a lecture and captures any PowerPoint slides, or other media displayed on the screen (for example, Web pages). The finished recording synchronises the information from the screen and the audio, enabling viewers to see the presentation slides and hear the lecture at the same time. This allows students to view sections of the lecture by slide or search for key words in the slides themselves.
AberCast is installed on the teaching computers in all centrally-timetabled teaching rooms. All these rooms have microphones to record the audio and, in addition, a number of rooms have facilities for video recording.
The AberCast software can also be downloaded and installed on individual machines, enabling staff to make recordings from their own offices, as well as recording formally organised lectures and presentations. Information about installing the software can be found on the IS FAQ Web site.
The recordings can be delivered through AberLearn Blackboard, and access to material is controlled through the pre-existing AberLearn Blackboard module sites. (How do I do that?) Alternatively, publically shared recordings can be made available externally via links on Web sites etc.
Staff in Information Services can provide advice and support on a variety of aspects relating to AberCast:
- Installation, configuration and basic use of the software. You will also find much of this information on the IS FAQ Web site. For additional support please email email@example.com
- Departmental introductions and training. Staff from Information Services are happy to provide basic introductions to AberCast for departments or small groups. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements.
- Enhancing teaching and learning through audio and video recordings. E-learning Support staff can offer advice on a wide range of issues relating to integrating recordings into learning and teaching. As part of this support, a course on using lecture capture is offered through the Centre for the Development of Staff and Academic Practice. For more information email email@example.com
- A good practice guide on integrating lecture capture into teaching can be found on the Nexus web site at http://nexus.aber.ac.uk/xwiki/bin/view/Main/abercast
- Reporting faults. Should you experience any issues with either the recorder software or the hardware installed in rooms (microphones etc), please contact our Customer Services Team
As well as dealing with your queries, we are happy to receive any suggestions and feedback from users of AberCast. Your feedback helps us to improve the service we offer.
In addition to AberCast, Information Services can offer video recording and post-production work. You can make the request online using our Service Request Form. A member of IS staff will contact you regarding the service you have requested. There may be a charge for hiring an item or for using a service and a departmental order will be needed for any charged-for services.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org