Pantycelyn, Wales' most famous hall of residence offers brand new en-suite accommodation for up to 200 students who wish to live through the medium of Welsh, exciting social spaces, games facilities and fully equipped study rooms.
A five minute walk from the Penglais campus and town, Pantycelyn is the beating heart of Aberystwyth University's vibrant Welsh speaking community.
In line with the past tradition of Pantycelyn, the residence is an open hall and is available for Welsh speaking students and any students who are looking to learn the Welsh language.
Pantycelyn is at the heart of Aberystwyth University’s Welsh life and the most famous student hall in Wales. Pantycelyn is also home to UMCA (Union of Aberystwyth’s Welsh Students). UMCA supports a number of Welsh societies such as Y Geltaidd, Young Plaid Cymru, and Aelwyd Pantycelyn for those of you who enjoy performing on stage. The Union’s activities range from organising entertainment and events to campaigning on educational, social and linguistic issues in the University and beyond. Above all else, UMCA is keen to ensure that you make the best of your time at Aberystwyth University, academically and socially.
Uniquely, Pantycelyn is a part-catered hall, offering residents the chance to come together and socialise at meal times in the ground floor refectory.
Additionally on the ground floor you will find a number of multi-purpose communal rooms, offering a wide range of facilities and services.
Be part of it, make Pantycelyn your home from home.
Facilities & Services
Pantycelyn's main facilities include:
- Part-catered accommodation with integral ground floor restaurant, available during Monday-Friday for:
- breakfast 8.00am - 10.15am
- evening meal 5.00pm - 6.30pm
- Coffee Shop available 10.00am - 6.00pm on Saturday and Sunday
- During other times, including the weekends, there is a large range of hot food available in the Students’ Union, Arts Centre and Tamed Da. Further details can be found on our Hospitality Services website.
- Wi-Fi and wired connection.
- Quiet study rooms with computing facilities.
- Two small meeting rooms.
- Four common rooms on the ground floor:
Be it for group work, as a performance space, music rehearsals, for society meetings or just another place to sit, study and relax - we have rooms with multi-media facilities, a piano, soft seating, tables, desks and multi games tables – everything you can need under one roof!
- Lolfa Fach
- Lolfa Fawr
- Senior Common Room
- Junior Common Room
- Some of the above rooms can be booked by Aberystwyth University staff and students who are not residents at Pantycelyn. (See Pantycelyn - Booking a Communal Room for details)
- UMCA office – Aberystwyth’s Welsh Students’ Union.
- Post room with secure mail boxes.
- Laundry facilities.
- Vending facilities.
- Cleaning service provided in all communal areas outside of your cluster of rooms (area), including entrances, landings, stairwells and corridors and ground floor social spaces.
- Refuse & Recycling collection points.
- Car Parking (limited, permit required).
- Residence Assistants providing you with support and guidance.
What's in your room?
- Bed & mattress
- Storage cabinet(s)
- Desk & computer chair
- Desk lamp
- Waste bin
- Wash basin with mirror
- Toilet brush
What's in your kitchenette?
Although Pantycelyn is a catered residence, there are a number of kitchenettes situated within the hall – providing an average of 1 kitchenette per 8 students.
- Microwave oven
- Wall mounted hot water boiler
- Ironing board
- Mop & bucket
- Dustpan & brush
- Bins - Dry mixed recycling, glass, food and general waste
* Please note that freezers for student use are available on the Ground Floor, in the store room next to Lolfa Fawr.
Weekly Cost 2022/2023
|Length of Contract 2022/2023||
Weekly Cost 2023/2024
|Length of Contract 2023/2024|
£176.25 (includes £51.60 per week food allowance)
£197.41 (includes £57.75 per week food allowance)
* 33 weeks =
23/09/2022 – 17/12/2022 (12 weeks)
07/01/2023 – 25/03/2023 (11 weeks)
15/04/2023 – 23/06/2023 (10 weeks)
** 33 weeks =
22/09/2023 – 16/12/2023 (12 weeks)
06/01/2024 – 23/03/2024 (11 weeks)
13/04/2024 – 21/06/2024 (10 weeks)
The meal allowance is flexible - if you do not use the daily / weekly allowance, the money will rollover and can be used at any point up until the end of your Licence.
New for 2023/2024 – all belongings can now be left in your Pantycelyn accommodation throughout Christmas and Easter!