|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||5 x 2-hour seminars|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||1 x 5,000 word essay Essay:|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resubmit any failed elements and/or make good any missing elements. Where this involves re-submission of work, a new topic must be selected.|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
_1. Women's Literary History: the Medieval Phase
- Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar, the Norton Anthology of Literature by Women (Introduction to the section on the Middle Ages and Renaissance)
- Virginia Woolf, "A Room of One's Own"
- Janet Todd, "Feminist Literary History" (Chapter 1)
- Alexandra Barratt, "Women's Writing in Middle English" (Introduction).
- "The Life of Christina of Markyate"
- The St Albans Psalter
- Marie de France's "Lais", "Fables" and "St Alban's Psalter"
- Julian of Norwich: "A Revelation of Love"
- "The Book of Margery Kempe"
- "A Revelation of Purgatory"
- The Paston letters
Reading ListShould Be Purchased
Alexandra Barratt (ed.) (1992) Women's Writing in Middle English Selections of most of these texts can be found in London: Longman Annotated Texts Primo search Burgess, Glyn S and Keith Busby, trans (1986) The Lais of Marie de Frnace Penguin Primo search Speigel, Harriet (1987) Marie de Frnace: Fables University of Toronto Press Primo search
Kempe, Margery. (1985.) The book of Margery Kempe /translated by B.A. Windeatt. Primo search Talbot, C. H. (May 1998) The Life of Christina of Markyate:A twelfth century recluse Primo search Watt, Diane (2004.) The Paston women :selected letters /translated from the Middle English with intorduction notes and interpretive essay [by] Diane Watt. Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 7