- Dr Viktor Manahov (Senior Lecturer in Finance - University of York)
|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminar||8 x 1 Hour Seminars|
|Lecture||10 x 1 Hour Lectures|
|Lecture||10 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||3 Hours (Unseen book written exam)||60%|
|Semester Assessment||Written essay or report (2,000 words)||20%|
|Semester Assessment||Individual presentation (10 minutes)||20%|
|Supplementary Exam||3 Hours (Unseen book written exam)||60%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written essay or report (2,000 words)||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Individual presentation (10 minutes)||20%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Explain, assess and illustrate the issues of capital budgeting, capital structure, dividend policy, share repurchases, corporate restructuring, corporate performance analysis and financial distress prediction (and associated matters).
2. Critically analyse, derive, interpret and apply models which have been proposed to illuminate these issues.
3. Evaluate, explain and critically discuss the evolution of the debate upon these issues. Compare and contrast differing opinions and positions in these debates.
4. Identify key real-world corporate financial issues and relate them to associated theories; understand and apply evidence from extant literature to bring solution to such issues.
5. Select, explain and apply appropriate theory to questions and problems.
• Capital Structure
• Dividend Policy/ Share Repurchases
• Corporate Restructuring- Mergers and Acquisitions
• Analysis of Corporate Performance
• Bankruptcy and Distress
• Real Options
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||• Develop an easy familiarity with numerical data sources and numerical data • Apply numerical data to problem solving with care and accuracy • Assess the reasonableness of and interpret numerical solutions • Support assertions/arguments with appropriately developed and presented numerical data • Apply complex mathematical formulae|
|Communication||• Develop confidence in and clarity of oral communication via example class/tutorial participation • Develop clarity and focus of written communication via development of answers to self-study questions Develop and use appropriate subject-specific vocabulary in oral and written communication|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||• Identify and distil the key issues covered by lectures, tutorials and self-study • Identify and use a range of learning resources • Investigate benefits of small group working on self-study Structure study to accommodate intensive learning|
|Information Technology||• Use a variety of electronic web- and library-based resources to review available information and retrieve pertinent information Use spreadsheet software to complete elements of the self-study (e.g., for ease of tabulated numerical calculations, production of summary statistics, production of graphs, etc).|
|Personal Development and Career planning||• Preparation for seminar tasks will encourage initiative, independence and self-awareness • Identify a variety of potential career opportunities within the financial and professional services sector.|
|Problem solving||• Identify the precise problem to be solved • Assess which data are pertinent to the problem • Recognize that alternative solution methods might be available • Select and apply appropriate methods for solving the problem • Assess the reasonableness of problem solutions and interpret those solutions|
|Research skills||• Identify which information sources are available to: o facilitate module study (understanding, wider reading) o provide data which allow application of module learning in a real world context Properly reference/attribute information sources|
|Subject Specific Skills||• Develop competence in understanding and appropriately applying Corporate Finance models/ theory to practice. • Develop competence in understanding the key financial decisions which are faced by the directors and managers of firms. • Develop competence in analyzing corporate financial performance|
|Team work||Develop experience of team work and develop team working skills via small group working on self-study.|
This module is at CQFW Level 7