|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Essay 3,000 words||60%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours||40%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Essay 3,000 words||60%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours||40%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Evaluate and select appropriate exercise interventions for a range of populations taking into account health status.
2. Deconstruct current Government and National Health Service policy on the role of exercise for disease prevention and management.
3. Demonstrate and awareness of health and safety, risk assessment and ethical considerations
4. Construct critical reviews on a range of topics based on a range of information sources.
5. Gather and use information from a range of sources.
The module will cover generic aspects of physiological assessment for both healthy individuals and those presenting with a range of chronic medical conditions including pre-assessment screening, risk stratification, assessment protocols and interpretation of assessment data. In addition, students will study the epidemiological evidence for the promotion of physical activity and the pathophysiological basis of a selection of medical conditions and the effect of physical activity on the disease process.
• Pre-assessment screening and risk stratification;
• Health-related physical fitness assessment;
• Clinical assessment of those with chronic disease;
• Pathophysiological basis of a range of chronic diseases eg.:
o Coronary Heart Disease (CHD);
o Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD);
o Diabetes Mellitus
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Epidemiological Meta-Analysis.|
|Communication||Written – assessed report.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Identification and researching of specific medical condition to be focus of written report assessment.|
|Information Technology||MS Office|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Module content has high vocational focus.|
|Problem solving||Written report assessment: • Identification of issues related to specific chronic medical condition. • Construction of rationale for the inclusion of specific methods to be employed within the proposed management of condition.|
|Research skills||Research findings will be required to support rationale for written report.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Subject/patient care and handling within a laboratory setting.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6