|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Report Pass mark 50% 1500 Words||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Report Pass mark 50% 1500 Words||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
Demonstrate an understanding of client-oriented plant breeding programmes
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of mutagenesis or biotechnology for the creation of genetic diversity versus exploring natural sources
Demonstrate an understanding of the use of genetics in plant breeding
- Plant Participatory Breeding programmes and Utilising Diversity in plant breeding programmes
- The role of mutants and biotechnology
Plant Participatory Breeding & Utilising Diversity
• Evaluate the different historical approaches to crop domestication.
• Plan for the collection and management of ex situ plant genetic resources.
• Propose a client-oriented plant breeding programme
• Mutants and BioTechnology
• Describe the use of backcrossing for introgression of new traits or diversity into a breeding program
• Propose uses for a mutagenised population in a breeding program
• Evaluate the utility of biotechnology in plant breeding
• Assess the use of mutagenesis or biotechnology for the creation of genetic diversity versus exploring natural sources
• Genetics in Plant Breeding
• Propose a qualitative or quantitative genetics project which could advance your breeding program.
• Design a mapping population for QTL analysis and a training population for GS development.
• Describe the benefits that MAS/GS would provide in a breeding program.
• Appraise a breeding program for the adoption of MAS or GS
Learning will be tested with formative quizzes and by a summative masters level quiz at the end of the module
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Creative Problem Solving||Students will be required to assess the use of mutagenesis or biotechnology for the creation of genetic diversity versus exploring natural sources|
|Critical and analytical thinking||The asserssment will pose theoretical problems for the students to solve.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students will appraise a breeding program for the adoption of MAS or GS|
This module is at CQFW Level 7