|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Case study report (2000 words)||30%|
|Semester Assessment||Grant application using relevant form (3000 words)||50%|
|Semester Assessment||Oral presentation of grant proposal (20 min plus 5 mins for questions)||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Students must retake assessments that led to module failure.||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate awareness of good scientific practice in professional research.
2. Evaluate the relative merits and limitations of different technologies.
3. Critically evaluate the challenges of applying biotechnology in an industrial environment.
4. Identify, target and apply for grant funding.
5. Assess the context, risks and opportunities that exist in the biotechnology industry, including different business models.
6. Communicate appropriately with biotechnology stakeholders including academics, industrialists and funding agencies.
7. Demonstrate professional skills applicable to a career in biotechnology.
The students will also develop and submit a grant proposal using authentic forms (e.g. IBCatalyst). The development of their proposal will be mentored during tutorials and they will use knowledge of commercial biotechnology and scientific/ technical knowhow gained in other modules to formulate their grant proposal.
6 x weekly 2h tutorials to discuss biotechnology and business and review meetings and study trips, and help the students prepare their assessed grant application.
2x 2h student presentation sessions at the end of the semester.
The students will visit biotech companies, breweries, conferences and destinations as available.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Required for laboratory placement e.g. design of experiments, handling data, general lab procedures etc.|
|Communication||Oral presentation and also written communication in the case study and grant proposal.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Reflective tutorials and feedback on assignments.|
|Information Technology||Research for written and oral assignments.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||We will look at professional CV during mentoring for grant application.|
|Problem solving||Required for laboratory placement e.g. design of experiments, handling data, general lab procedures etc.|
|Research skills||The case study and the grant proposal will require extensive research.|
|Subject Specific Skills||By learning grant application skills and developing these into an oral presentation of their ideas.|
|Team work||Group seminars where appropriate in tutorials.|
This module is at CQFW Level 7