Noise Alert Service
Is someone disturbing your study in the Hugh Owen Library?
Let us know by speaking with a member of staff at an Enquiry Desk, or by texting the Noise Alert Service on 07966624251.
- Please give us your location (e.g. “Level F near Celtic books” or “in the Tom Lloyd Computer Suite”) and a brief description of the problem.
- Once alerted, a member of Information Services staff will patrol the area as soon as they can.
- The service is available during term times between 9am-10pm
- We will not text back unless we need to clarify your location
- We do not retain texters' contact details / phone numbers
- You will be charged at your provider’s rate for sending the text
If you want to work quietly in a group, you can:
- book one of the Group Study Rooms or
- go to the one of the Quiet Study Areas or book one of the individual study carrels
Level F (top floor) in the Hugh Owen Library is a silent study area.
The Physical Sciences Library is entirely a silent study area except where indicated.
- Phones must be set to silent
- Work silently at all times including when using laptops and computers
- Ensure any personal listening equipment is inaudible to those nearby
Most areas of the Hugh Owen Library are quiet study areas. These are: Level E (middle floor) EL6 (Computer Room), Iris de Freitas room and Level D (ground floor).
In the Physical Sciences Library, a quiet group study area is set up at the far end of the ground floor, and is indicated by screens.
Phones can be used quietly
Help make the Library a pleasant place to work in
- Tidy up after yourself - use the recycling bins and avoid leaving litter on the tables or stairs
- Don't leave trailing cables in case others trip over them
- Please don't 'reserve' tables, study rooms or PCs by leaving your belongings there - space is at a premium!
- Please make yourself aware of the Information Services Food and Drink Policy
- If you want to talk or use your phone, please go to a group study area - let your fellow students study in peace. Noise made on the stairwells (including phone calls) can disrupt students working quietly. Phone calls can be taken on Level D (ground floor) Hugh Owen Library
Our aim is to work with our readers to provide a comfortable and quiet environment to study in. If you are unwilling to comply with these guidelines you will be asked to move to another floor in the library where some noise is acceptable. If the problem persists, you may be asked to leave the library.