Hugh Owen Library
Due to COVID-19, information on library services and facilities may change. For the latest information , please go to https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/news/libservicesmar2020/
The Hugh Owen Library is the main University Library and the centre of administration for Information Services. Based on Penglais campus [location], it provides a space to study, whether you wish to study quietly on your own or with others. A range of facilities are provided both to help you with your studies and for quiet relaxation.
Our opening hours are available here
Please note that:
- In the run up to and during the University exam periods (January and May - see http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/dates-of-term/ for exact dates) you need your Aber Card to swipe in AND out of the Hugh Owen Library at all times in order to ensure study spaces for Aber card holders. Visitors to the library should contact us in advance to arrange access during this period.
- At all other times, you need your Aber Card to swipe in AND out of the Hugh Owen Library between 10pm and 8:30am.
- Level F closes 30 minutes before the advertised library closing time.
- Level E closes 15 minutes before the advertised library closing time.
The Hugh Owen Library's collections cover the humanities, business, law, social sciences, biological and earth sciences and also include:
- Contemporary fiction
- Effective Study
- European Documentation Centre
- Language collection for learners
- Life skills
Other collections, for example Children's books, Diplomatic Documents, Official Publications, Statistical Publications, Rare Books and other Special Collections, although housed elsewhere, can be made available in the Hugh Owen Library on request.
Information on borrowing from the library's collections can be found on this page.
- Hugh Owen Library - Level D Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level E Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level F Floor Plan
- Iris De Freitas Room
The Hugh Owen Library offers
- Desk lamps for use in the library can be requested from the Enquiry Desk
- DVD/Video viewing facilities
- Group study rooms
- Help and support
- Individual study carrels
- Study carrels and group study roomsLockers
- Lost property
- Newspapers - national and regional newspapers
- Printing, photocopying and scanning
- Quiet group study areas
- Sales of consumables
- Self issue machines (on levels D, E and F)
- Self return machine (on level D)
- Self service comb binding
- Silent study areas
- Vending and hot drinks machines (Level D)
- Water refilling station (Level D)
- Water fountains (Levels E and F)
- The main entrance on level D is accessible from the Piazza
- There is an alternative accessible entrance/exit to the library on Level E. Please contact Student Support Services to arrange access via your Aber Card as required.
- A lift is available for access to other floors for users with mobility issues. Please ask at the Enquiry Desk for assistance.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available on Level D and E.
- Hearing induction loops are available at the Enquiry desks.
- Coloured overlays and magnifiers are available to borrow from the Enquiry Desk
- Adjustable desks are available as follows:
Location For Hugh Owen Library Level D - computer desk Quiet study Hugh Owen Library Level E computer room (EL6) – computer desk Quiet study Hugh Owen Library Level E - main floor – study desk Silent study Hugh Owen Library Iris De Freitas - study desk Quiet study Hugh Owen Library Level E - Bookable Carrel 2 Individual study Hugh Owen Library Level F – Tom Lloyd Suite – computer desk Silent study
- Adjustable lighting is available as follows:
Location For Hugh Owen Library Level D - Group Study Rooms 1 and 2 Group Study Hugh Owen Library Level E - Group Study Rooms 3 Group Study Hugh Owen Library Level E - Bookable carrels 1 and 2 Individual study Hugh Owen Library Level F - Daily use carrels Individual study
- We can arrange to fetch and deliver reading or other materials within the Library, ready for collection or personal study.
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types. Deaf laerters are avialbel form the enquiry desk
It is essential that the lift should not be used when the fire alarm is in operation.
- Please contact Student Support Services and Health, Safety and Environment Office to arrange a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for the Library if relevant.
If you would like a guided tour of the facilities, or to discuss any specific requirements you have, please contact us.