Hugh Owen Library
The Hugh Owen Library is the main University Library and the centre of administration for Information Services. Based on Penglais campus [location], it offers a quiet space to study. A range of facilities are provided both to help you with your studies and for quiet relaxation.
Our opening hours are available here
Please note that you need your Aber Card to swipe in AND out of the Hugh Owen Library at all times. Visitors to the library should contact us in advance to arrange access.
The Hugh Owen Library's collections cover the humanities, business, law, social sciences, biological and earth sciences and also include:
- Contemporary fiction
- Effective Study
- European Documentation Centre
- Language collection for learners
- Life skills
Other collections, for example Children's books, Diplomatic Documents, Official Publications, Statistical Publications, Rare Books and other Special Collections, although housed elsewhere, can be made available in the Hugh Owen Library on request.
Information on borrowing from the library's collections can be found on this page.
- Hugh Owen Library - Level D Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level E Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level F Floor Plan
- Iris De Freitas Room
The Hugh Owen Library offers
- Desk lamps for use in the library can be requested from the Enquiry Desk
- DVD Viewing facilities
- Help and support
- Lost property
- Printing, photocopying and scanning
- Sale of consumables
- Self issue machines (on levels D)
- Self return machine (on level D)
- Water refilling station (Level D)
- Accessible toilet facilities are available on Level D and E
- An integrated hearing induction loop is available at the main Enquiry desk.
- Magnifiers and coloured overlays are available to borrow from the Enquiry Desk
- The main entrance on level D is accessible from the Piazza
- A lift is available for access to other floors for users with mobility issues. Please ask at the Enquiry Desk if you need assistance.
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types. Deaf alerters are avialable from the enquiry desk
It is essential that the lift should not be used when the fire alarm is in operation.
- Please contact Student Support Services and Health, Safety and Environment Office to arrange a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for the Library if relevant.
If you would like a guided tour of the facilities, or to discuss any specific requirements you have,