Hugh Owen Library
The Hugh Owen Library is the main University Library and the centre of administration for Information Services. Based on Penglais campus [location], it offers a quiet space to study. A range of facilities are provided both to help you with your studies and for quiet relaxation.
Here's a virtual tour of the Hugh Owen Library:
Our opening hours are available here
Please note that you need your Aber Card to swipe in AND out of the Hugh Owen Library at all times. Visitors to the library should contact us in advance to arrange access.
The Hugh Owen Library's collections cover the humanities, business, law, social sciences, biological and earth sciences and also include:
- Contemporary fiction
- Diplomatic Documents
- Effective Study
- European Documentation Centre
- Life Skills at University
- Official Publications
- Rare books
- Statistical Publications
Information on borrowing from the library's collections can be found on this page.
- Hugh Owen Library - Level D Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level E Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level F Floor Plan
- Iris De Freitas Room
Facilities and Services
The Hugh Owen Library offers:
- Aber Card collection
- Desk lamps for use in the library can be requested from the Enquiry Desk
- DVD Viewing facilities
- Help and support
- Group Study Rooms
- Individual study rooms (Carrels)
- Lost property
- Printing, photocopying and scanning
- Sale of consumables
- Self issue machines
- Self return machine (on level D)
- Hydrachill Water refilling station (Level D)
To protect yourself and others we ask that:
- You sanitise your hands on entering, and regularly while using, the library.
- You wipe work surfaces, keyboards, mice, printers etc before and after use.
- You only sit at designated workspaces
- You observe the 2 metre social distancing rule or work in groups of 6 or less (group study rooms only)
- You use your own Aber Card to swipe to enter and exit the library.
- You wear a face coverings at all times, unless exempt.
- You do not come to the library if you are unwell. The main symptoms of COVID-19 are:
- new continuous cough;
- high temperature;
- loss of or change to your normal sense of smell or taste (anosmia).
We will ensure
- The numbers of users in the library at any one time are strictly limited.
- Staff working in the library are following recommended hygiene practises.
- Regular cleaning is carried out.
- There are hand sanitising stations at the entrance and throughout the building.
Hugh Owen Library - Accessibility
- Accessible toilet facilities are available on Level D
- An integrated hearing induction loop is available at the main Enquiry desk.
- Magnifiers and coloured overlays are available to borrow from the Enquiry Desk
- The main entrance on level D is accessible from the Piazza
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types. Deaf alerters are avialable from the enquiry desk
It is essential that the lift should not be used when the fire alarm is in operation.
- Please contact Student Support Services and Health, Safety and Environment Office to arrange a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for the Library if relevant.
If you would like a guided tour of the facilities, or to discuss any specific requirements you have, please contact us.