Pantycelyn, Wales' most famous hall of residence offers brand new en-suite accommodation for up to 200 students who wish to live through the medium of Welsh, exciting social spaces, games facilities and fully equipped study rooms.
A five minute walk from the Penglais campus and town, Pantycelyn is the beating heart of Aberystwyth University's vibrant Welsh speaking community.
In line with the past tradition of Pantycelyn, the residence is an open hall and is available for Welsh speaking students and any students who are looking to learn the Welsh language.
It is also the home of UMCA – Aberystwyth's Welsh Students Union – Y Geltaidd's sports teams and social activities, and the Pantycelyn choir.
Uniquely, Pantycelyn is a part-catered hall, offering residents the chance to come together and socialise at meal times in the ground floor refectory.
Additionally on the ground floor you will find a number of multi-purpose communal rooms, offering a wide range of facilities and services.
Be part of it, make Pantycelyn your home from home.
Facilities & Services
Pantycelyn's main facilities include:
- Part-catered accommodation with integral ground floor restaurant, available during Monday-Friday for:
- breakfast 8.00am - 10.15am
- evening meal 5.00pm - 7:00pm
- During other times, including the weekends, there is a large range of hot food available in the Students’ Union, Arts Centre and Tamed Da. Further details can be found at our Hospitality Pages.
- Wi-Fi and wired connection
- Quiet study rooms with computing facilities
- Two small meeting rooms
- Four common rooms on the ground floor:
Be it for group work, as a performance space, music rehearsals, for society meetings or just another place to sit, study and relax - we have rooms with mulit-media facilities, a piano, soft seating, tables, desks and multi games tables – everything you can need under one roof!
- Lolfa Fach
- Lolfa Fawr
- Senior Common Room
- Junior Common Room
- UMCA office – Aberystwyth’s Welsh Students’ Union
- Post room with secure mail boxes
- Laundry facilities
- Vending facilities
- Cleaning service provided in all communal areas outside of your room, including entrances, landings, stairwells and corridors and ground floor social spaces.
- Secure cycle storage
- Refuse & Recycling collection points
- Parking (limited, permit required)
- Residence Assistants providing you with support and guidance
Artist drawings of a typical bedroom in Pantycelyn (Please click on the images to see a larger version).
What's in your room?
- Electrically adjustable 4ft Bed & mattress
- Automatic opening bedroom door
- Disabled alarm
- Storage cabinet(s)
- Desk & computer chair
- Desk lamp
- Waste bin
- Shower with seat and grab rails
- Toilet with grab rails
- Disabled alarm
- Wash basin with mirror
- Toilet brush
What's in your kitchenette?
Although Pantycelyn is a catered residence, there are a number of kitchenettes situated within the hall – providing an average of 1 kitchenette per 8 students.
- Automatic opening door
- Low level worktop for wheelchair use
- Microwave oven
- Wall mounted hot water boiler
- Ironing board
- Mop & bucket
- Dustpan & brush
- Bins - Dry mixed recycling, glass, food and general waste
* Please note that freezers for student use are available on the Ground Floor, in the store room next to Lolfa Fawr.
|Weekly Cost 2020/2021||
Length of Licence 2020/2021
Weekly Cost 2021/2022
|Length of Licence 2021/2022|
£167.02 (includes £50 per week food allowance)
£170.78 (includes £50 per week food allowance)
*33 weeks =
18/09/2020 – 12/12/2020
10/04/2021 – 18/06/2021
**33 weeks =
24/09/2021 - 18/12/2021
08/01/2022 - 02/04/2022
23/04/2022 - 18/06/2022
Although you are required to vacate Pantycelyn during the Christmas and Easter holidays, belongings can be left in Pantycelyn and additional nights can be booked at an accommodation only rate (no catering provision) during these holiday periods.
The meal allowance is flexible - if you do not use the daily / weekly allowance, the money will rollover and can be used at any point up until the end of your Licence.